A delicious recipe and the use of anchovies adds a subtle rich salty-savoury flavour and heart healthy omega-3 fatty acids.
Cook time: Prep 10 minutes & cook 40 minutes
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 30g butter
- 1 small tin anchovies in oil, drained
- 1 sprig rosemary, leaves only, chopped finely
- 800g tin peeled plum tomatoes
- 75g parmesan, grated
- 1 tbsp cream (optional)
- 500g pasta (penne, fusilli, spaghetti or bucatini)
- Melt the olive oil and butter in a heavy-based frying pan over a medium-low heat. Add the anchovies and rosemary, mashing the anchovies until they melt into the oil and butter.
- Using scissors, chop the tomatoes while still in the tin, then add to the frying pan, mashing with a spoon to break them up further. Bring almost to a boil, then reduce the heat and gently simmer until the sauce is thick and rich – about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to the pack instructions in plenty of boiling salted water, then drain.
- In the last minutes of cooking, add two-thirds of the parmesan to the sauce, and a little cream if you like.
- Add the pasta to the sauce and serve with the rest of the parmesan sprinkled on top.