The citrussy and zingy taste of lime is always refreshing. But a bit of sweetness, without sugar, is difficult to achieve. This cheesecake is a combination of sweetness and citrus, which provides a lovely balance. A great dessert to serve at Easter. A huge selection of sugar free syrups are available online, with a great variety of flavours to suit your palate. The almond nuts in this recipe form the base, but the cashews also thicken the cheesecake topping without using any form of sugar.
Prep Time: 15-20 minutes
Cook Time: No cook! Ready in 2 plus hours
Suitable for: VG (vegan), SF, DF
- For the base:
- 30g coconut oil, plus extra for greasing
- 100g blanched almonds
- 100g soft pitted dates
- For the topping:
- 300g cashew nuts
- 2½tbsp sugar free salted caramel syrup (or sugar free syrup)
- 50g coconut oil
- 150m almond milk
- 2 limes, zested and juiced
- Firstly, prepare the tin you are using for the cheesecake (or dish if you prefer), by greasing it carefully all over with the coconut oil. Use sparingly, you only need enough to prevent sticking.
- Boil a kettle, place the cashews in a suitable bowl or pot and pour over the water. You now need to leave the nuts to soak for at least an hour. When ready, use a food processor to blitz the ingredients for the base with a small pinch of salt. Using the back of a spoon, press the ingredients into the base of the tin/dish making sure it is evenly spread.
- Drain the cashews to remove all excess water. Put the cashew nuts into your processor (it must be clean) then all the remaining ingredients but reserving some of the lime zest for sprinkling on top. Blitz, so that the ingredients are combined, and the mixture is quite smooth.
- With a palate knife or similar, spread the topping over the base then place in the fridge for at least 2 hours until it is set.
- Before serving, sprinkle over the rest of the lime zest.
Optional: before adding the final touch of lime zest, ‘zig-zag’ some syrup (sugar-free) over the top then add the zest, just to lift it with a bit more sweetness.
Nutrition: Calories 426